Fili Wiese - Founder: Blackpixels
Jonas Weber - Consultant at webhelps!
Alfredo Pulvirenti - SEO TL @ StepStone Group
Though many of the questions were generic but some were very key questions & answers considering the recent Google Algorithmic updates like penguin and Panda. I have highlighted them below in a bulleted list:
Question: How does Google Webmaster Disavow tool works?
- Google are not doing anything currently with the data they collecting, unlikely to do anything soon.
- Use top level domain to disavow link rather than absolute url and Google also show in the Google webmaster tool. You can update the disavow link daily.
- Disavow even those links which has been removed as they may reappear at a later stage.
- It is wise to send a reconsideration request after some days of submitting the reconsideration request.
Question: How does Manual Penalty on a website works?
- Website is reviewed Multiple times by several individuals before a manual penalty is applied.
- Google only takes a look at the 10% of your back-link profile while reviewing any website for manual penalty.
- If you are hit by a manual penalty (as confirmed by Google in webmaster tool) then its worth remove the unnatural link rather then just change the anchor text.
Question: Does Google webmaster tool shows all backlinks considered by Google for a given website?
- Google Webmaster Tools only shows about 10% of your back links, it is not an exhaustive list of all your back links.
Question: Best ways to build backlinks?
- Build links from those websites which can help you get traffic, avoid building links only for search engines.
- You should not associate your brand to low level blogs/directories.
- When using guest posts, use your brand name for linking rather than keywords.
Question: What content you should have on your website?
- Rather than focusing on keywords, you should focus on creating content that solves your customers problems.
Question: How is social media important for rankings?
- Social media probably counts for only 1% towards your rankings.
- Focus more on how social is changing search priorities, not only how it will change rankings.
- Start now so you have an advantage for if and when they do start using/increase social signals for search.
If you have any further queries, get in touch with us or in the comment section below.